Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Official Robert's Rules Of Order Web Site

For my future reference: The Official Robert's Rules Of Order Web Site. Includes a nifty message board where helpful experts interpret the Rules and give practical advice to those of us less knowledgeable in the ways of Robert's Rules.

Some things I learned:
- voting should never be done by mail
- proxy votes are not allowed
- provincial (and federal) law overrules Robert's Rules
- officers can hold more than one office (the president, for example, can also chair a committee or sit as treasurer)
- it is very good to be very clear about things in the by-laws
- avoid voting people with gavel fetishes into office
- I could have wielded a gavel this past year. Darn. That may have been my one chance, and I missed it!

No comments: