Sunday, June 18, 2006

One Step Closer to Podcasting

Usually when I participate in the Check This Out! podcast as "Canadian correspondent", Jim Milles calls me up using Skype (internet based phone call service or VOiP)and he records us from his end. We have also experimented with both of us speaking using Skype. This weekend Jim gave me the assignment of recording my bit on my end, and then emailing the MP3 file to him. He knew I already have an iRiver capable of recording, and even an external microphone, so the only thing left to do was read the manual and figure out how to record.

So, after playing with a few of the settings I believe I have managed it. I recorded 15 minutes (probaby too long!) which has made a 14 MB file. I've emailed it to him and hope it makes it to him.

The subject of my talk was the Ark Group KM conference I attended. Mostly it is a brief summary of the sessions, highlights of things I learned, and a wee bit of my own commentary. I hope it works out!

What next? It's only a matter of time before I get the video thing working....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! This post was a bit too technical for me, but I got the gist that you recorded a bit and then emailed it as a sound file? Well done!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! This post was a bit too technical for me, but I got the gist that you recorded a bit and then emailed it as a sound file? Well done!

Connie Crosby said...

That's exactly it. I recorded it on a little iPod-like device (the iRiver), then using a USB cable loaded it onto my laptop. I already had the iRiver software loaded, so it automatically turned the file into an MP3 file that I could then attach to an email. Not much more difficult than emailing, say, a Word file.