Sunday, March 04, 2012

Back to Reality: What I've Been Up To

Wow--I can't believe it has been almost three months since I last blogged here! I guess that is a sign I have been busy. Still, I feel I should be sharing more. Here are a few highlights on what I have been up to lately:

Recent talks

In January I gave a talk about social media to lawyers at a conference put on by The Commons Institute. My slides are below:


At the beginning of February I gave a talk to the Toronto chapter of the International Association of Administrative Professionals on building an effective social network. My slides are below (I was trying out a slightly different format with these):


I have also been giving private talks lately to various organizations and a range of professional audiences. If you are looking for someone to help explain social media and related topics geared specifically for your audience, and want someone who has a broader perspective than public relations, do get in touch with me.

PodCamp Toronto 2012

After the talk to IAAP, a good part of my February was spent helping to organize this year's PodCamp Toronto, held last weekend at Ryerson University's Rogers Communication Centre. This is definitely a labour of love since all organizers are volunteers putting in hundreds of hours between December and February to pull this social media "unconference" together. We had over 1100 registrants this year and over 70 sessions throughout the weekend. This was my fifth year organizing, and so rewarding! It is great fun to set the infrastructure in place and see the social media community take over sharing knowledge, content and enthusiasm for the weekend. I love seeing all the tweets via Twitter, slide decks from presentations, photos and blog posts that are gradually emerging from the weekend. To find them, search for the tag PCTO2012 (#pcto2012 on Twitter).

In the meantime I myself haven't stopped learning! I even managed to attend a few sessions at PodCamp this year. I am processing all that I have heard. At some point I will be sharing what I have learned, trends I am seeing, and possibly notes I took along the way. I have some notes I took Friday from a talk by the Ontario Information and Privacy Commissioner Dr. Ann Cavoukian which I should be posting tomorrow, and there should be a related post on Slaw.ca in the morning.

On Slaw.ca

Speaking of which, in case you have missed them, I have still been fairly consistent with my blogging at Slaw.ca. Here are some of my recent posts you might want to check out if you haven't already:


What have you been up to lately? Any interesting projects in the works? 

No comments: